PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 17, 2011

Cool It Down

henryONE 360

Who is this child? I don't know if it's because of the move but Henry has been so bad lately. Bad as in downright mean. He's shoving kids and taking toys. He's throwing books and hitting me. And I don't even want to talk about the last few times we've tried to go out in public.

It was easy to think that Henry would be a well behaved toddler while he was still so tiny. I guess I always assumed that an even tempered personality comes naturally. Now he's 17 months and I'm learning that it's going to take some serious work and even more so: a serious personality makeover on my side.

Watching Henry get frustrated over the littlest things today, I realized that I do the same. Too much traffic? I'm mad. Can't open the stupid door and my hands are full? I'm mad. Henry's toothpaste won't come out? I'm mad. And I'm obviously mad about it all too (not that I'm throwing things or rolling on the floor). I let dumb stuff stress me out and he does too. When he's throwing a fit because he wants some Goldfish and I said "No!" he's partially reacting the way I've taught him too.

Nothing makes you evaluate who you are more than a becoming a parent. Being around your kid is like looking into a mirror 15 hours a day. As they get older they start mimicking everything you do and you're like, "Whoa. Do I really say that/do that/act that way?" It's scary but in a way it's good too. With a lot of work I think I can help Henry become the polite child I always imagined I'd have. Until then, I think we'll stay far away from libraries and restaurants.

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

Related Posts with Thumbnails