PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Friday, February 6, 2009

Young Folks.

Just as my mom predicted, my computer is up and running once again (they apparently had the same problem with their Dell a few months back). I feel lucky, being able to use the internet and finally type up an update into this blog. Unfortunately, also according to my mom my computer should shut down again sometime soon...and this time for serious. So, a few days ago I went to a computer center store I found near by and purchased a 4 GB thumb drive to save all of my important information on (songs, pictures, documents). When I was talking to my mom, she said, "Just get a 4 GB stick, it will be waaay more than you need" and I told her, "Well, I have A LOT of stuff, so maybe I'll buy two 4 GB sticks". Now that I have begun the tedious process of copying over all of my documents, I realize just how little I know about file sizes. HA, I believe with all of my pictures, music, and documents combined I will have much less than 4 gigabytes.

Last Sunday, my good friend Melissa and her wonderful boyfriend Andrew came into town for his birthday. Melissa and Andrew (her boyfriend) go to a Transcendental Meditation school in Fairfield, Iowa. Fairfield is about a five hour drive from Chicago, so they are useually out here once every couple two months. That's the good part about living in a huge city, people you know are more likely to be stopping in now and then for a visit. Melissa's visits are sometimes out of the blue, which is always a nice surprise. We'd like to get out to Iowa soon, it's so hard when you don't have a car.

For Andrew's birthday, he wanted to spend time in a sensory deprivation tank. Basically, it is dark container full of 800 pounds of salt water dissolved in 10 inches of luke warm water. You drink tea in a relaxing room before you are taken to your own private room. You then shower off and climb into the container. I told Melissa I would do it as well, not really knowing what to expect. I had read a bit about it and was pretty excited about trying it, because according to everyone who had written a review on the place (I did my research, ha ha) it was supposed to be a totally rejuvenating experience...one that would clear you mind, relax your body, and allow you to explore natural thoughts that are most often crowded by the everyday business of life. So what do you have to do to achieve this nirvana?! Simply climb inside a pitch black, sound proof container the size of a refrigerator tipped on its side and float for an hour in water so dense from salt that you float effortlessly. I have to admit, I was just a little freaked out about the whole experience. First of all, I have this weird fear of water that I have never been able to fully understand. I can't even put my face under a stream of shower water without feeling like I can't breathe. I am not the biggest fan of deep lakes and certainly not someone who feels comfortable swimming at night. As I slipped into the deep chamber, I was honestly wishing I had not watched so many horror movies that involved girls being pulled under by some haunting sea/bathtub creature and also that I had not spent so much time convincing my mom to let me watch Titanic when I was in middle school. However, once I slipped into the water everything changed.

For those who know me and my deep fear of almost anything water related would be surprised and proud to know that I actually conquered my fears and climbed inside. It ended up being completely worth it. Not only did I conquer a huge fear of mine but I also felt the most level headed and relaxed that I have felt in a LONG time. It was like every single muscle in my body was the most relaxed that they have ever been and for once I fell asleep faster than ever before. My mind was wondering like crazy and I kept drifting in and out and little naps. When I came out, I couldn't really believe I had been in there for a whole hour. My body felt totally relaxed. Also, that night I slept SO GOOD.

While I was super proud of myself for not letting my fears get the best of me this time, I was a little disappointed to realize that I have become more of a chicken over the past few years. I think while I was in college I would have easily slipped into the sensory deprivation tank without a care in the world. And now, just two years later I had to convince myself and tell myself that everything would be OK. It's just weird how fast we change...I guess that I have changed in a good way, maybe I am less likely to place myself in dangerous situations or something. Still, it is never a great feeling to realize that you are a big scardy cat all of a sudden.

On Monday Garrison and I saw Slumdog Millionaire. It was SO GOOD. If you like suspenseful movies you would really love it. If you like movies that are romantic and not cheesy romantic, you would love it. If you like M.I.A. you would love it. If you like beautiful/creative cinematography, you would love it. If you get the chance, you should go see it. It is one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time.

Wow, it is late. Since my computer working for the time being, I will most likely write more tomorrow or Sunday. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 50 degrees....so warm for Chicago! I think G and I are going to ride bikes to the band practice space.

Have a great Saturday!!

2 comments:

Amy Gibson said...

i'm glad you're (your computer) back, miss allie. that salt float sensory removal tank seems awesome- i'm proud of you for doing it! it would be scary even if you didn't have water fears. it's awesome that you get to see melissa sometimes- i miss us three. i saw slumdog millionaire at the dvd store (we call the owner 'eyelashes lady') the other day- i'll have to go back and buy it.
i love you,
amy g

Anonymous said...

Hey ALlie!! How are you?? I'm glad that your computer is working for a while!!! I hope that i can get my own blog site soon!! lOve you!!!!

Love,
Renee

Related Posts with Thumbnails